Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Date & Nut Cake Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 50-51)
Gluten-Free Date & Nut Cake: A delightfully moist cake with the heartiness of nuts and the sweetness of dates throughout.
Date & Nut Cake
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
½ Cup Chopped Dates (approximately 12 Pitted Dates) ½ Cup Boiling Water ½ Cup Warm Buttermilk ½ Cup Vegetable Oil 1 Cup Sugar 3 Eggs 1 Teaspoon Vanilla ½ Cup Applesauce (no added sugar type) 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda ¾ Cup + 2 Tablespoons White Rice Flour ¼ Cup Tapioca flour ¼ Cup Brown Rice Flour ¼ Cup Cornstarch ¼ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts
YieldOne 9" square cake.
- In a food processor, finely chop dates.
- Pour boiling water over chopped dates; stir. Add the warm buttermilk and stir; set aside.
- In a mixer, cream together the oil and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla; mix.
- Add the applesauce; mix.
- Add the baking soda, flours and cornstarch; mix.
- Blend in the date / water / buttermilk mixture.
- Add the nuts; mix.
- Pour into a 9x9x2" square or similar size baking pan which has been lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center, comes out clean.
- Frost as desired. Pictured with Vanilla Frosting (page 78).