Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Almond Cake Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 48-49)
Gluten-Free Almond Cake: A firm yellow cake with the wonderful accent of almonds.
This Almond Cake is sure to be a favorite.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
1¾ Cups Sugar 4 Ounces Cream Cheese 2 Tablespoons Almond Paste 4 Eggs 1 Teaspoon Vanilla ½ Cup Vegetable Oil 2 Cups Buttermilk 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder ¾ Teaspoon Baking Soda ¼ Cup Sorghum Flour ½ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour ½ Cup Tapioca Flour ¾ Cup Cornstarch 2 Cups White Rice Four
Almond Filling Ingredients
1 Cup Milk 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch ½ Cup Almond Paste 2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar ¾ Cup (1½ Sticks) Butter 1 Teaspoon Vanilla 1 Tablespoon Cream
YieldTwo 9" round cakes (pictured stacked).
Baker’s TipFor a simple lower-fat almond filling variation, cream together ¼ Cup Almond Paste and ¼ Cup Butter (4 Tablespoons); add 1 Tablespoon of Milk and 2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar; mix.
- With mixer, cream sugar and cream cheese together for two minutes.
- Add almond paste; mix.
- Add eggs; mix for one minute on medium speed.
- Add vanilla, oil and buttermilk; mix. Scrape sides of mixer to loosen any cream cheese/sugar that might be clinging to sides of bowl.
- Add baking powder and baking soda; mix.
- Slowly add flours and cornstarch. Once flours are incorporated, mix on medium-high for one minute.
- Grease two 9" round cake pans. Pour batter into the pans and bake at 350° for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Almond Filling Directions
- Dissolve cornstarch and milk in sauce pan. Add almond paste and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until paste-like in consistency (about 3 minutes). Allow to cool completely.
- Place remaining filling ingredients in mixer and cream together using whisk attachment. Add cooled milk mixture and beat on medium/high speed until fluffy in texture (roughly 2 minutes).
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Place almond filling between stacked cooled cakes. Top with frosting — as pictured: Chocolate Almond Frosting (page 76), plus ½ cup toasted sliced almonds and a bit of shaved chocolate.