Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 26-27)
Gluten-Free Chocolate Layer Cake: Another fantastic chocolate cake.
This four-layered beauty’s light and moist texture distinguishes it from denser cakes such as the Chocolate Ganache.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
1½ Cups Sugar 4 Eggs 2 Cups Sour Cream 1½ Cups Vegetable Oil 2 Teaspoons Vanilla 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda 1 Cup Cocoa ½ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour ½ Cup Tapioca Flour 2 Cups White Rice Flour
Four 9" round cakes (as pictured, stacked).
Use warm knife when cutting cake to prevent the outer frosting from cracking.
- With mixer, mix the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for about two minutes until the batter takes on a fluffy lemon-yellow appearance.
- Add sour cream; mix.
- Add oil; mix.
- Add vanilla, baking powder and soda; mix.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until even consistency.
- Place batter in four greased 9" round cake pans and bake at 350° for 18 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool, and then assemble the layers with frostings between each layer, and finally apply the outer layer of icing to entire surface of cake — refrigerate the cake for approximately half an hour to set outer frosting.
The frostings per picture:
- One batch of Chocolate Cream Frosting (page 75) — enough for two inner layers
- A half batch of Preserves-Flavored Frosting (page 77) using seedless raspberry jam — this was used for one thin inner layer.
- Two batches of Chocolate Raspberry Frosting (page 72) — enough to coat entire outside of cake once assembled.