Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Boston Cream Pie Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 38-39)
Gluten-Free Boston Cream Pie: A flavorful combination of citrus-accented yellow cake, creamy vanilla custard, and rich chocolate topping.
Boston Cream Pie — a custard filled cake that acquired its name when cakes and pies were cooked in the same pans and the words were used interchangeably. Delicious!
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
2 Eggs ¾ Cup Sugar 1 Cup Sour Cream ¼ Cup (½ Stick) Butter ½ Teaspoon Vanilla 1 Lemon (for 1 Tablespoon Zest) 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda ½ Cup Cornstarch ¼ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour ¼ Cup Tapioca Flour 1 Cup White Rice Four
3 Egg Yolks 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch 1 Cup Milk ⅓ Cup Sugar 1½ Teaspoons Vanilla ¾ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips ⅓ Cup Milk
- With mixer, mix the eggs and sugar together until the batter takes on a fluffy lemon-yellow appearance (approximately 2 minutes)
- Add butter; mix. Add sour cream; mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix slowly until even consistency.
- Mix on high for one minute.
- Place cake batter in springform pan that has been lined with parchment paper and greased.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool in springform pan.
- While cake bakes, place all filling ingredients in mixer and mix. Pour into sauce pan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium and continue stirring for an additional 4 minutes (i.e., until approximately one minute after custard boils). Transfer custard to another bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Set aside for later.
- Once cake is cool, remove sides of pan and slice cake horizontally into two pieces. Remove the top and set aside. Place the sides of the springform pan back onto the remaining piece of cake and pour cooked custard onto this bottom cake layer; spread evenly over surface. Place reserved half of cake on top of custard layer applying gentle pressure to level it.
- In microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and milk. Microwave on high for two minutes. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
- Apply evenly to top of cake.
- Refrigerate cake until ready to eat.