Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Cream Puffs Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 210-211)
Gluten-Free Cream Puffs: These light and airy puff pastries can be filled with whipped cream, custard, or pudding of your choice. Here we use a delicious Amaretto Cream filling.
Gluten-Free Cream Puffs — a recipe that we were told was "impossible" back in the early 2000's, but yet here they are, straight from our Gourmet Desserts cookbook.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 1 Cup Water ¼ Teaspoon Salt ½ Cup White Rice Flour ¼ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour ¼ Cup Tapioca Flour ½ Tablespoon Almond Paste 4 Eggs
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream ¼ Cup Confectioners’ Sugar ½ Tablespoon Almond Paste 1½ Tablespoons GF Amaretto ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
If you are not sure whether the amaretto you have is GF, use another GF liqueur in its place. Or, substitute ½ teaspoon of GF almond flavor (or vanilla if preferred) and one tablespoon water.
Although we feature an amaretto cream filling, you can easily come up with a variety of cream puffs by using various puddings and custards of your own choosing — refer to the index to locate such recipes quickly.
- Place butter and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the flours and salt; mix. When the mixture becomes a ball of dough (about one minute), remove from stove and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add almond paste; mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat after each.
- After all ingredients have been added and mixed, beat on high speed for an additional 2-3 minutes or until batter becomes smooth and consistent in appearance.
- Place heaping tablespoon sized balls of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 425°F or until golden brown on the outside (as shown) and dry in the center. Pastries will have raised to about 1½" high puffs.
- When shells are completely cool, use a knife to split them about half open horizontally.
- Combine all ingredients in mixer and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Use a pastry bag or a plastic bag with a corner cut off to pipe filling into the center of the puff pastries.