Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Italian Lemon Cookies Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 138-139)
Gluten-Free Italian Lemon Cookies: These cookies do a wonderful job of mimicking a traditional Italian lemon cookie. mild flavor and flaky texture make this a great tea or snack cookie.
These cookies were designed to replace some (gluten-containing, traditional flour based) favorite cookies from a local Italian bakery. The end result comes close enough to satisfy those cravings for the original Italian Lemon Cookies.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 6 Ounces Cream Cheese 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil 1½ Cups Cornstarch ½ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour 1 Teaspoon Vanilla 1 Tablespoon Sugar 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice Zest of One Lemon (optional) 1 Egg (slightly beaten for an egg wash)
1¼ Cups Powdered Sugar 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
Since these cookies do not spread when baked, you can place all cookies on one sheet if you choose (to speed baking).
Store in covered container. They will keep a few days, though they may get a bit dry after the first day or two.
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add baking powder, oil, cornstarch, glutinous rice flour, vanilla, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest (zest is optional, but adds flavor). Mix until just blended.
- Take enough dough into your hands to roll into a one inch ball (approximately). Form ball into oblong / oval shape (or whatever shape desired — ovals pictured below, with lower-right cookie in pre-flattened state). Place formed cookies on greased baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Brush egg wash (beaten egg) on top of cookies (helps with browning).
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes — tops will be a light golden brown when ready.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before dipping tops of cookies in glaze.
- Place powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and mix until smooth.