Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Almond Snowball Cookies Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 126-127)
Gluten-Free Almond Snowball Cookies: Sometimes called “Russian Tea Cakes”, “Nut Balls” Or “Butter Balls”, these firm but flaky cookies are great with coffee or tea.
Almond Snowball Cookies — a gluten-free adaptation of an excellent recipe from my grandmother.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
½ Cup Butter ½ Cup powdered sugar (plus 1 cup additional for rolling cookies in after they are baked and cooled) 1 Teaspoon vanilla 1 Egg 2 Tablespoons Applesauce (no-added-sugar type) 1¼ Cups Almond Meal ¾ Cup Tapioca Flour ¾ Cup Brown Rice Flour ½ Cup Dark Buckwheat Flour ¼ Cup chopped Walnuts
- Beat butter until smooth.
- Add the ½ cup of powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add vanilla, egg, and applesauce; mix.
- Add almond meal, tapioca flour, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour and walnuts; mix. Dough will be fairly thick when all ingredients are blended.
- Chill dough for at least 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Roll into one inch balls and place on ungreased standard baking pan. Place remaining dough in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Bake at 325°F for 15 minutes. Cookies will be lightly browned on the bottom.
- Remove from baking pan when they come out of the oven and place on a dish to cool.
- When cookies are cool, roll in powdered sugar to coat the surface (as pictured).