Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Banana Cream Pie Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 86-87)
Gluten-Free Banana Cream Pie: This pie has creamy banana custard over a layer of sliced bananas and a coconut-accented crust, all topped with additional sliced bananas and whipped cream.
Banana Cream Pie is a favorite for many.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 4 Ounces Cream Cheese 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder ¾ Cup White Rice Flour ¼ Cup Glutinous White Rice Flour 1 Cup Sweetened Coconut Flakes
3 Medium-Sized Ripe Bananas (reserve two for later) 3 Egg Yolks 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch 1 Cup Milk ⅓ Cup Sugar 1½ Teaspoons Vanilla ¾ Cup Heavy Cream
8 Ounces Non-Dairy Whipped Topping ¼ Cup English Toffee Bits (optional — as pictured)
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add baking powder and flours; mix. Add coconut flakes; mix until blended.
- Press pastry crust into greased Pyrex pie pan (form crust on bottom and sides). Place aluminum foil over edges of pie crust and then bake crust at 400° for 35 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil after 30 minutes.
- Place one banana and remaining filling ingredients in mixer; mix.
- Pour into sauce pan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium, continue stirring for 6 minutes more (until about a minute after reaching a boil).
- Place in bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap, and cool completely.
- Once crust and filling are completely cooled, slice one ripe banana and place on bottom of cooled crust.
- Place filling over sliced bananas.
- Slice remaining ripe banana and place on top of filling (shown below).
- Cover bananas and pie filling with the whipped topping and toffee bits (pictured above). Refrigerate until ready to serve.