Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Carrot Cake Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 18-19)
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake: Truly indistinguishable from the “real” thing, this carrot cake won first place honors at our city (pop. 30,000) Cake baking competition in 2005!
My wife won first place at the city cake baking contest with this cake (competing against all those “normal” wheat and gluten containing cakes)! A short time earlier, for its public debut, we took this cake to a party and didn’t tell anyone that it was gluten-free until after they ate it and told us what they thought. By chance, a personal-chef was at the party, and she quickly commented how she would rate the cake “nearly a 10 out of 10. . .” — before knowing it was wheat-free! With experience like this, we can’t help but feel confident stating that this cake is simply awesome.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
4 Eggs 2 Cups Granulated Sugar 3 Cups Grated Carrots ½ Cup Amaranth Flour ¼ Cup Glutinous (“Sweet”) White Rice Flour 2 Cups White Rice Flour ½ Cup Tapioca Flour 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon 1½ Cups Vegetable Oil 1½ Teaspoons Vanilla 1 Cup (8 ounces) Canned Crushed Pineapple (with juice) ¾ Cup Chopped Walnuts
8 Ounces (1 Package) Cream Cheese 3½ Cups Confectioners’ Sugar ½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 1½ Teaspoons Vanilla
(2) 9-inch Round cakes (as pictured, stacked); or, alternatively, a single 9x13-inch rectangular cake.
For presentation, edge the cake with walnut halves (roughly 1 cup) after icing. Apply fresh ground cinnamon to the top and sides. And, for a final “wow” effect, place freshly-picked nasturtium flowers (considered edible) around the cake.
- With mixer, mix the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for about two minutes until the batter takes on a fluffy lemon-yellow appearance (see picture below).
- Add remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly.
- Divide batter equally between two greased 9-inch round pans (or, place all batter in a single greased 9x13-inch pan) and bake for 55 minutes at 350° (60 minutes for 9x13-inch pan). Toothpick-test in last 5 minutes to confirm doneness.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth consistency is achieved.
- Apply once cake has cooled.